Tuesday 7 April 2015

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

In my opinion, the ancillary text matches the mood and the genre of the video and is a good representation of the artist as a whole. Features of this include the text; which I decided to keep as simple and as minimalistic as possible. The use of space between the letters in the titles creates a gothic effect and is used in other media texts such as this Album by Tom Skelly called "Wait for this day to grow old."




The genre of Tom Skelly's music is very similar to the genre of my artist. So I took inspiration from the front image through his use of under exposure, making the image appear darker then what it would be naturally. This is done after post production by the use of photoshop, and using the exposure tool.
Here is an example of his music 




This song is slow and melancholic, similar to the song used in my video, so I thought it was an appropriate digipak example to get inspiration from. I thought this was effective because it matches forms and conventions of real media products and shows a clear representation of the artist before even listening to the music. 
Using my audience feedback shown in the following paragraph, I can use second hand input to gauge the success of my products as a whole. This is an extract of feedback for my video:

"I like the dark setting, it represents her mood and her life in sadness. the matches show glimmers of happiness and hope but they are always blown out. I like the close up of both the sets of eyes,  it shows emotion and the video shows her life counting down the days to see her bae (her lover) which you can tell by the tallies on the tree and the end setting of her running into his arms.
 It makes me feel sad and sorry for her, But happy at the end. Just a bit of a roller coaster really"

This explains that this audience member understood the sub-narrative which I showed through abstract themes. For me, this was one of my goals when making the video, as well as making the video an "emotional rollercoaster", meaning that there's a bit of confusion regarding the artist's mental health, as well as having hope when she runs out of the sea towards the man, for the clip to cut to a shot of her walking into the sea again. I wanted to confuse the audience slightly and make them feel empathetic towards the artist so that at the end, when she walks back into the sea, the audience would feel sad because of the denotation of her committing suicide and not being able to cope. I think this is effective because the majority of people, including my target audience, have been through times in their life where they feel like they can't cope with life circumstances. possibly not to the extent of the sub-narrative in my video, but maybe something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment